I love to cook in-season vegetables. Turnips are just so flavorful and easily available vegetable in the place where we live so it is must to cook with them. This can be cooked in the whole fall season. It is very easy and simple recipe. I hope you like it.
1 kg turnips, peeled and cut them in wedges
1 medium size onion, chopped
½ cup of vegetable oil
1 ½ tbsp of red chili powder
¼ tsp of turmeric powder (optional)
3/4 tbsp of salt
6 to 8 small cloves of garlic
1 inch cube of ginger
1 tbsp of coriander seeds
1 medium size fresh tomato, chopped
¼ cup water, plus extra water for boiling turnips
1) Take a heavy bottom pan. Fill the pan about half with water and heat it on medium heat. Once water gets slightly warm add all the turnips. Cook them on medium heat until they get nice and soft, yet they retain their shape for about 30 minutes. Then let them cool for a while.
2) Peel off ginger and garlic and rinse them well. Ground or mince them in a mortar and pestle, also add coriander seeds. Ground them well. Texture should be roughly like a paste.
3) Take out cooked turnips in a plate. Discard all the water left behind, Rinse that pan and in the same pan add vegetable oil and preheat it on medium heat. Add chopped onions in it and cook them until they get golden in color. Add a splash of water to prevent them from over cooking.
4) Add salt, red chili powder and turmeric powder. Stir it for 1 to 2 minutes. Add ginger and garlic paste in the pan and cook it until it gets fully cooked and all the bits turned golden in color. Keep on stirring.
5) Add chopped tomatoes and ¼ cup of water. Stir and close the lid. Let tomatoes to fully cook. Keep an eye on them. After they softened try to break down a bit with the back of your spoon.
6) As tomatoes fully cooked the mixture will start separating from oil. Take out your already cooked turnips, mash all the turnips with potato masher or with hands. Add all the turnips in the pot with all the juices of turnips. Mix it well, close lid and cook it on medium heat for about 10 to 20 minutes or until all the liquid evaporates. Keep an eye on them and keep on stirring once in a while. Turn off the stove and serve.