This Plain rice dish is mostly cooked with chicken gravy or black chickpeas gravy in our house. It has some great flavors which we like in this dish. It goes well with any spicy gravy. It is mostly cooked in weekend as that day we can easily do some extra effect making them and also everybody can enjoy it.
4 cups of basmati rice, soaked in water for 2 to 3 hours
1 onion, chopped
4 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 inch cube of fresh ginger
6 medium sized fresh cloves of garlic
2 tsp of ground coriander powder
1 tsp of red chili powder
4 tsp of salt
8 cups of water
1 tsp of garam masala
1) Peel off ginger and garlic and rinse them well. Ground or mince them in a mortar and pestle, also add coriander powder and green chilies. Ground them well. Texture should be roughly like a paste.
2) Add vegetable oil in heavy bottom pan and preheat it on medium heat. Add chopped onions in it and cook them until they get golden in color. Add a splash of water to prevent them from over cooking.
3) Add ginger and garlic paste in the pan and cook it until it gets fully cooked and all the bits turned golden in color. Keep on stirring. Add red chili powder and stir it well.
4) Add all the water. Once it comes to a boil add salt and garam masala. Now start adding soaked rice in the water. Once you added all the rice stir it well. Close the lid let them cook for about 2 to 5 minutes but keep an eye on them.
5) There should be some liquid left behind so leave it as some liquid is still there in the rice. After that low the heat of stove as low as possible. Close the lid and let them sit there for about 25 to 30 minutes and serve.