Aloo matar gajar is a traditional dish, mostly cooked and eaten in fall season. This recipe need some hard work in chopping all the veggies but other than that recipe is very easy. After chopping it comes together in like less than 30 minutes. And leftover makes outstanding sandwiches in the morning. The beauty of this dish is yummy soft potatoes and sweet flavor of peas and carrots.
1 ½ cup of peas
2 medium size carrots, chopped
3 medium size potatoes, chopped ¼ inch thick
1 onion, chopped
½ cup of vegetable oil
1 inch cube of fresh ginger
6 medium sized fresh cloves of garlic
2 large size green chilies
2 tsp of ground coriander powder
1 ½ tbsp of red chili powder
¼ tsp of turmeric powder (optional)
1 tsp of salt
1 medium size fresh tomato, chopped
½ cup of water
½ tsp of garam masala
Fresh coriander, chopped
1) Peel off ginger and garlic and rinse them well. Ground or mince them in a mortar and pestle, also add coriander powder and green chilies. Ground them well. Texture should be roughly like a paste.
2) Add vegetable oil in heavy bottom pan and preheat it on medium heat. Add chopped onions in it and cook them until they get golden in color. Add a splash of water to prevent them from over cooking.
3) Add salt, red chili powder and turmeric powder. Stir it for 1 to 2 minutes. Add ginger and garlic paste in the pan and cook it until it gets fully cooked and all the bits turned golden in color. Keep on stirring
4) Add chopped tomatoes and ¼ cup of water. Stir and close the lid. Let tomatoes to fully cook. Keep an eye on them. After they softened try to break down a bit with the back of your spoon. Add garam masala in it and stir it well.
5) As tomatoes fully cooked the mixture will start separating from oil. At this stage add chopped up potatoes and carrots and stir well. Cook them for about 2 minutes and add remaining water in it. Close the lid and let it simmer for about 2 minutes on low heat.
6) Open the lid and add peas in the pot. Mix them well with gently. Close the lid and let them cook until they fully cooked through for about 5 to 10 minutes, but keep an eye on them. At last add chopped fresh coriander and Serve hot with flat bread.